International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering

A monthly peer-reviewed online and print journal

ISSN Online 2278-1021
ISSN Print 2319-5940

Since 2012

Abstract: The most neglected topic in health protection facilities is the management of the wastes generated by them. Health hazard wastes are the wastes that are produced from health protection facilities, laboratories, and research centers, animal test laboratories, mortuary and autopsy centers, blood banks, nursing homes for the elderly, etc. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), it is been stated that nearly 85% of wastes generated in health protection sectors are non-hazardous and the rest 15 % is hazardous. Until now we are following manual sorting and handling of Bio-Medical Wastes (BMW). The purpose of the review is to: (i) evaluate the generation of biomedical wastes; (ii) analyze methodologies used in biomedical waste management (iii) explain advantages of replacing humans with robotic arms in health care waste management system (iv) Identify the applications of artificial intelligence in healthcare sectors (v) explain the application of image processing methodologies in waste segregation and disposal. The results from various authors give us a detailed explanation of how image processing techniques, neural networks, and robotics can be applied in healthcare waste management system. These above-mentioned technologies enable us to gain knowledge about how to prevent disease transmission in healthcare workers as a result of BMW.

Keywords: BMW, robotics, image processing, object recognition, manpower, autonomous waste disposal.


PDF | DOI: 10.17148/IJARCCE.2020.91115

Open chat
Chat with IJARCCE